Carol Burnett and Julie Andrews hamming it up Sondheim-style while presenting at the 1999 Tony Awards.
Life Lessons Via Stephen Sondheim
- Careful the things you say, children will listen.
- Everybody’s got the right to be happy.
- A person should celebrate everything passing by.
- It’s the little things you do together that make perfect relationships.
- Everybody ought to have a maid.
- Nice is different than good.
- Don’t be afraid that it won’t be perfect. The only thing to be afraid of, really, is that it won’t be.
- Anything you do, let it come from you — then it will be new. Give us more to see.
- If you wanna bump it, bump it with a trumpet.
- And for God’s sake, finish the hat.
Nathan Lane in the 1996 revival of A Funny Thing Happened on the Way to the Forum.